The success of the Plant Exchange is a reflection of all the wonderful volunteers who make this happen. A few people giving a couple of hours of their time makes all the difference!
Video by: Shari Dyer
2nd Saturday Adopt-a-Plant Fundraisers
The Plant Exchange would be nothing without it’s dedicated group of volunteers and supporters. We could use some extra hands at our monthly 2nd Saturday Adopt-a-Plant Fundraisers (February – November).
We have 2 shifts available for this event
- 8am-11am – Set up event space, prune plants, assist shoppers as they arrive, run cashier table, and more
- 11am-2pm – Assist shoppers, run cashier table, break down and clean up event space, and more
Interested in learning more? Please email us, or call 510-866-8482. Thanks so much for your support!
Note: Our events are located at 4500 Lincoln Avenue, Oakland, CA 94602. Parking is available in the lot at the location. We suggest wearing comfortable clothes, shoes, a hat, and sunscreen. We also suggest bringing a snack if your shift extends over lunch.
The Plant Squad
We love our volunteers and have recurring activities to keep our donated plants thriving. Join our plant squad that meets regularly to:
- Trim and prune plants
- Learn plant triage
- Repot plants
- Unload donations
- Compost and recycle
Volunteers of all skill levels welcome! We have lots of activities to choose from including:
- Painting signs
- Organizing the warehouse
- Cleaning donations and sprucing up equipment
- Preparing for upcoming sales and events
- Our warehouse is on the grounds of Ability Now Bay Area which provides services to people with disabilities and our projects often serve both communities.
For available dates and times, email us or call 510-866-8482.
Community Work Days
We love our volunteers and have monthly recurring events as well as special projects. We have lots of activities to choose from. For available dates and times, email us or call 510-866-8482.
Service Group and Corporate Event Opportunities
There are plenty of opportunities to help at The Plant Exchange throughout the year! Examples of projects include:
- Planting and gardening at our warehouse location
- Sorting donations and performing plant care, such as pruning, repotting, etc.
- Constructing fences, platforms, greenhouses
- Creating signs and artwork for our annual event
We welcome service groups of all sizes and ability levels to participate with us on unique projects, and we can tailor activities to fit your group’s specific accommodations. If you are interested in volunteering with your team, email us or call 510-866-8482.
Before the Annual Plant Exchange
In the weeks before the annual plant exchange, we need help doing a variety of tasks, many of which can be accomplished in under an hour. Some are performed at our event space, around town, or in our downtown Oakland office. Activities include:
- Pick up of plant donations from local nurseries
- Put up posters in store windows
- Paint signs
- Distribute flyers
- Help with PR
- Post online to event calendars
- Contact service organizations
- Repot early drop-off donations
- Take photos of silent auction and store items
At the Annual Plant Exchange
We have various stations where you can help out. You can stay at one station for the entire shift or you can change and try something new. Learn More.
Team Captain Opportunities
Team Captains are the people that volunteers report to for instructions for a given station. The captains participate in one meeting before the event. Learn More.
We need Team Captains for:
|Accessories Tables||Quality Control|
|Volunteer Check-in||Plant Runners|
|Exit & Pick Up||Traffic and Parking|
|Plant Tables||Welcome and Info|
Many of our volunteers have been involved since the beginning in 2007! They keep coming back because it is easy, fast and fun – in other words, no one gets overworked! Plus, it is a great way to meet people and give back to the community. You will also get to enjoy our Volunteer Appreciation Party one week after each exchange. We need help to keep this going and growing.
“Because I love gardening, I chose to volunteer with The Plant Exchange. The time I spend volunteering with The Plant Exchange is fun and energizing, and it is the reason I keep coming back year after year!” – Genentech Employee