The Plant Exchange, a registered 501(c)(3) organization, is a community and a celebration that encourages resource sharing, reuse, recycling, and green practices. Our mission is to encourage and support Oakland’s designation as one of the greenest cities in the country. We support other non-profits and community groups by re-distributing excess plants and trees to help beautify and enrich our neighborhoods.
Ability Now Bay Area (formerly the Cerebral Palsy center for the Bay Area) offered us a permanent home with warehouse space and room for plant propagation and other projects. Our events and warehouse are now located at 4500 Lincoln Ave. in Oakland, CA.
StopWaste.org donated funds to purchase a 10-foot box van that we use to pick up plant donations.
In our 12th year, The Plant Exchange creates strong neighborhood connections by people-to-people redistribution of green materials back into the community. It’s free and it’s fun.
“We’re about plants and people—and the spaces we create together that are beautiful, fun, free, and a celebration of community.”
– Odette Pollar, Founder
- Signature one-day free-to-the-public community wide plant exchange event
- Volunteer Workdays are held monthly
- Started in a front yard in 2007 with 75 plant enthusiasts
- Networked community of over 2,200 environmental enthusiasts
- 250+ volunteers provide over 1,400 service hours annually
- Over 3,500 plants, tools, supplies, and equipment change hands each year
The Plant Exchange Staff
- Odette Pollar, Founder and Executive Director
The Plant Exchange Board of Directors
- Chandra Alexandre, Ph.D., CFRE
- Sandra Denhart, MBA, Human Resource Certification, AEA
- Sarah Davis, Attorney
- Jay Kock, Marketing and Sales
- Odette Pollar, Founder, The Plant Exchange
- Ricky Robinson, VP, HR, Medtronic
- Jordan Safine, Realtor