The Plant Exchange, a registered 501(c)(3) organization, is a community and a celebration that encourages resource sharing, reuse, recycling, and organic living. Our mission is to encourage green practices and support Oakland’s designation as one of the greenest cities in the country. We support other non-profits and community groups by re-distributing excess plants and trees to help beautify and enrich our neighborhoods.
In our 11th year, The Plant Exchange creates strong neighborhood connections by people-to-people redistribution of green materials back into the community. It’s free and it’s fun.
“We’re about plants and people—and the spaces we create together that are beautiful, fun, free, and a celebration of community.”
– Odette Pollar, Founder and Executive Director
- Signature one day free community wide plant exchange event
- Volunteer Workdays and Urban Gardening Speaker Events are held monthly
- Started in a front yard in 2007 with 75 plant enthusiasts
- Networked community of over 2,200 environmental enthusiasts
- 250+ volunteers provide over 1,400 service hours annually
- Over 3,500 plants, tools, supplies, and equipment change hands each year
The Plant Exchange Staff
- Caroline McCormick, Executive Director. Learn more about Caroline here.
- Odette Pollar, Founder
The Plant Exchange Board of Directors
- Chandra Alexandre, Ph.D., CFRE
- Sandra Denhart, MBA, Human Resource Certification, AEA
- Madeline Miller, MS, DMV
- Odette Pollar, Founder + Executive Director, The Plant Exchange
- Ricky Robinson, VP, HR, Medtronic
- Jordan Safine, Realtor
- Marjorie Schwarzer, Professor of Museum Studies, University of San Francisco