The Plant Exchange, a registered 501(c)(3) organization, is a community and a celebration that encourages resource sharing, reuse, recycling, and organic living. Our mission is to encourage green practices and support Oakland’s designation as one of the greenest cities in the country. We support other non-profits and community groups by re-distributing excess plants and trees to help beautify and enrich our neighborhoods.
In our 10th year, The Plant Exchange creates strong neighborhood connections by people-to-people redistribution of green materials back into the community. It’s free and it’s fun.
“We’re about plants and people—and the spaces we create together that are beautiful, fun, free, and a celebration of community.”
– Odette Pollar, Founder and Executive Director
- Exchange events are held twice a year in March and October
- Volunteer Workdays and Urban Gardening Speaker Events are held monthly
- Started in a front yard in 2007 with 75 plant enthusiasts
- Networked community of over 2,200 environmental enthusiasts
- 250+ volunteers provide over 1,400 service hours annually
- Over 3,500 plants, tools, supplies, and equipment change hands each year
Places We Donate
We also donate plant materials to other non-profits, schools, and community groups. (Partial list)
|Ability Now Bay Area (Oakland)||Free Oakland Up (Oakland)|
|AIDS Project of the East Bay (Oakland)||Jewish Family Community Services (Walnut Creek and Berkeley)|
|American Indian Child Resource Center (Oakland)||Melrose Leadership Academy (Oakland)|
|Bret Hart Middle School (Oakland)||Merritt College Horticulture and Landscape Department|
|Building Skills Partnership (Oakland)||Oakland Adult Career & Education (Oakland)|
|Building Opportunities For Self Sufficiency (Berkeley)||Public Library of Science (San Francisco)|
|Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill)||Street Level Health Clinic (Oakland)|
Here are some of the plants in their new homes!